University of Manitoba
The University of Manitoba is a driving force of innovation, discovery and advancement. Our momentum is propelled by our campus community – UM faculty, staff and students whose determination and curiosity shape our world for the better. Our teaching, learning and work environment is uniquely strengthened and enriched by Indigenous perspectives. With two main campuses in Winnipeg, satellite campuses throughout Manitoba, and world-wide research, UM’s impact is global.
Discover outstanding employee benefits, experience world-class facilities and join a dynamic community that values reconciliation, sustainability, diversity, and inclusion. We are one of Manitoba’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. At the University of Manitoba, what inspires you can change everything.
Reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure Build, the incumbent is primarily responsible for the infrastructure build function for network and technology enabling the University’s local wired and wireless campus networks including connectivity to; the Internet, provincial education and national research networks.
These responsibilities include; requirements gathering, needs analysis, network design, budget estimating and implementation of upgrades to existing or installation of new network infrastructure supporting transmission of data, voice and video traffic. Under the direction of Manager of Infrastructure Build, acts as a consultant to the University faculty and staff including the IST Technology Architecture and IST Infrastructure Maintenance teams for all network technology design, implementation and maintenance. The area of focus for this position is: Network
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
- A Computer Science degree or college diploma in Information Technology or a related field is required.
- Directly applicable industry certifications including one or more of; Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA), Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) or Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) are considered an asset.
- Must have a minimum 6 years of work experience as a network professional with a minimum of 2 years of experience in network design and implementation of enterprise level networks in higher education or large business environments.
- Must have experience in developing and maintaining network technology standards including reference designs, product specifications and installation standards.
- Must have experience in preparing detailed bill of materials and estimating network technology supply and installation costs for upgrades to or new network infrastructure.
- Must have experience collaborating with diverse project teams including technology users, infrastructure and application specialists, vendor sales and technical support staff, project managers and project sponsors.
- Experience with Unified Communications technologies is an asset.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of industry standards and good practices for network system design, installation and configuration.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of network hardware and software technology including; routers, switches, firewalls, application delivery controllers, wireless controllers, QoS, remote access VPN, B2B VPN, DNS and DHCP systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals and understanding of common network, routing and switching protocols including: TCP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, DNS, SIP, RTP, OSPF, BGP, VRF, STP and VPC, is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of enterprise wireless design including guest access, client authentication and high-density deployments is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of network security and secure network configuration practices is required.
- Familiarity with network-based security technologies including network encryption, SSL offloading, intrusion prevention or detection systems, vulnerability scanning tools and web application firewalls, is required.
- Must be competent with use of network design and documentation software tools including Microsoft Visio with ability to create, review and maintain detailed network diagrams.
- Demonstrated network troubleshooting skills including the ability to diagnose and resolve complex network configuration, hardware or software system problems is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems and related network configuration is required.
- Knowledge of IP-based unified communications and collaboration systems and supporting network protocols including SIP is required.
- Knowledge of scripting using Python, Perl, Powershell or other scripting platform is an asset.
- Must be self-motivated and possess excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with users of varying levels of technical expertise is required.
- Demonstrated workload organization and prioritization skills required.
- Demonstrated teamwork/collaboration skills required.
- Ability to develop strong interpersonal working relationships required.
- Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory attendance and punctuality, is required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Comprehensive group benefits and pension plan.
- Competitive vacation time.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s recruitment site, UM Careers: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=20906
Closing Date: May 16, 2022
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of equity, diversity & inclusion and to promoting opportunities in hiring, promotion and tenure (where applicable) for systemically marginalized groups who have been excluded from full participation at the University and the larger community including Indigenous Peoples, women, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and those who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning, intersex, asexual and other diverse sexual identities).
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
To apply for this job please visit viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca.