CIPS is the only professional organization in Canada that offers an Information Technology (IT) designation that is recognized by law* in Canada. Whether you are interested in furthering your IT education, building your IT career or looking to hire an IT professional with the right credentials and mindset, the Information Systems Professional (I.S.P.) designation is for you!
It’s about Professionalism – Working towards or achieving the I.S.P. designation sets you apart from other IT practitioners. You are making a commitment to IT professionalism by ensuring you are continuously updating your skills and gaining relevant experience. Your I.S.P. designation confirms your status as an IT practitioner of the highest integrity for potential employers, customers, and clients.
The benchmark for the I.S.P. Designation is an Accredited 4 Year University degree program with at least 2 years of IT professional work experience. Click Here to view the required years of experience based on your education, and other application routes.
I.S.P. Requirements and Application:
- Current CIPS Membership and adherence to the CIPS Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct
- Certification Application Review Fee Payment
- Pass the CIPS Ethics Exam
- At least 1,000 hours of IT work experience in last 12 months
- References for last 2 years
- CIPS Certification Application 2022
- This application is for all CIPS Designations (AITP, I.S.P., and ITCP), and applicants will be provided with the designation(s) that meet their education and experience
Demonstrated mastery of the CIPS Body of Knowledge (BOK) is required, which is the equivalent to completion of a CIPS Accredited four-year degree program of study plus two years of relevant IT professional experience. This serves as the benchmark for the I.S.P. designation. The I.S.P. designation demonstrates varying degrees of knowledge and competency, provided that overall mastery is maintained.
Don’t have the required IT Experience for the I.S.P.? Apply for the AITP Designation!
If you have the required IT University or College education for the I.S.P. but don’t yet possess the required IT experience, you may qualify for “Candidate Membership” and the AITP designation!
* The I.S.P. is legislated as a self-regulating designation in six provinces (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia).